Termites are a year-round pest problem for Tennessee residents. But what makes your home attractive to termites in the first place? Many people are under false pretenses that termites only infest wood. Unfortunately, there are many other factors at play that may put you at risk for an infestation. This Termite Awareness Week, the experts at The Bug Man are here to share all you need to know about what could unknowingly attract these destructive pests to your home. Read on to learn more!
Top Termite Risks Around Your Home
No matter what kind of home you live in, there are several things that could make you a hotspot for termite activity. Here are the top factors for termite infestations:
- Cellulose. Termites may be infamous for infesting wood, but they’re actually after the cellulose contained within! This cellulose is a main component that can be found in wallpaper, plants, mulch, drywall, and more.
- Moisture. Leaky pipes, broken sprinklers, or clogged gutters can all lead to moisture problems in your home. In turn, this could attract subterranean termites (not to mention hoards of other pests) inside.
- Access to soil. Subterranean termites need contact with soil to live. Any wood items, whether it’s your home, porch, or firewood in the yard, in contact with soil is at risk for a termite problem.
- Warmth. Termite problems are generally more common in warmer, humid parts of the world. This puts our Southern state at a higher risk of termite activity year-round.
- Decaying wood. If you have logs, trees, or stumps that are rotten or in decay, you can be sure termites will seek them out.
- Landscape. Termites can infest mulch, making it important to keep it away from the perimeter of your home. Also, trim back tree branches that may be too close to your property.
How to Protect Your Home From the Risk of Termites
Unsure if your property is vulnerable to termites? The best way to know if you are protected against termites is to work with a professional termite exterminator. A thorough home inspection will pinpoint anything in or around your property that could put you at risk for termites in the future.
Need a Pest Control Estimate?
We'll call you! Leave your information below.
6 Factors That Put You At Risk For Termites in Central Tennessee
Serving Central Tennessee