How to Prevent Mosquito Bites in Central TN
Does it sometimes seem like there’s nothing you can do about mosquito bites? It doesn’t have to be that way. Yes, these buzzing bloodsuckers are widespread, but you can protect yourself and prevent mosquito bites in Central TN.
The Fundamentals of Preventing Mosquito Bites
There are four basic things you can do to help reduce your risk of getting mosquito bites:
- Plan outdoor activities for times other than dusk or dawn. This is when mosquitoes are most active, so if you go outside at other times you’ll avoid the majority of mosquito activity.
- Standing water is a mosquito’s best friend, so get rid of it. It’s a necessary part of their lifecycle because they lay eggs in it. Puddles and pools of standing water should be eliminated as they are one of the worst sources of mosquitoes.
- Wear long-sleeved shirts and pants when spending time outdoors. The less exposed skin you have, the less area where a mosquito can attack you.
- Use an EPA-registered repellent. If it’s unavoidable that certain areas of your skin will be exposed, spray them with an EPA-registered repellant. The most effective types contain DEET or picaridin. Be sure to consult with a pediatrician before use on children.
What to Wear to Help Repel Mosquitoes
Most mosquito bites happen on your arms, legs, neck, feet, and hands because these are the areas where your skin is most often exposed. The truth is, you can get mosquito bites anywhere, so spend some extra time planning your attire.
Long-sleeved shirts limit skin exposure. Long pants are a great choice too, ideally tucked into your sucks. If someone says it looks silly, remember that you’ll have the last laugh when your legs are the only ones that are bite-free. If it’s too hot to wear long sleeves and pants, consider using an EPA-registered insect repellent.
Research also suggests that wearing bright colors can help repel mosquitoes.
Do You Have a Mosquito Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information & we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
How to Prevent Mosquito Bites When You're Asleep
Mosquitoes are most active at dawn and dusk, but if they are hungry they can be active at any time. Many people have learned this is true after waking up during a camping trip and discovering mosquitoes devoured them overnight.
Here are some ways to defend against mosquito bites while sleeping:
- Using mosquito nets
- Sleeping in long-sleeved shirts and pants
- Sleeping with a fan on (mosquitoes do not fare well with wind)
- Showering before bed to remove lingering scents
- Keeping your windows shut (if indoors)
How to Prevent Mosquito Bites on Dogs and Cats
Mosquitoes will also bite your dogs and cats if given the opportunity. If you’re concerned about this possibility, consult with your vet and choose a pet-safe mosquito repellent. You may also want to consider walking your dog at times other than dawn or dusk, which is when mosquitoes are most active.
Finally, be sure to watch for scratching or signs your pets have been bitten by mosquitoes. Most of the time, symptoms are mild, but if your pet seems sick or lethargic, make an appointment with your veterinarian.
How To Prevent Mosquito Bites In Murfreesboro TN
Trusted Pest Control Serving Central TN
Serving Central Tennessee