No one wants to wake up one day to find their lawn or garden filled with mounds of dirt—this is a sure sign of a mole or gopher problem. Both of these small mammals are expert tunnelers and can be quite difficult to get rid of without concentrated strategies. It can be hard to identify which one you’re dealing with and take the appropriate pest control measures because they spend so much time underground. For help determining if you have a gopher or mole problem in Central TN, read up on the The Bug Man technicians’ top tips!
Telling Apart Moles and Gophers
When you do spot one of these vermin at the surface, you call tell whether its a mole or gopher by these features:
- Moles are usually between 4 to 7 inches in length, while gophers are larger, ranging anywhere between 5 and 14 inches in length.
- Moles’ hands and noses are pink in color and larger than gophers’.
- Gophers are highly territorial, so they won’t often be found in pairs or groups, like moles.
5 Signs of Moles or Gophers in Central TN
If you’re concerned that you have a mole or gopher problem developing in your yard, here are five signs to look for that indicate mole or gopher activity:
- Overnight, mounds of dirt will pop up in your yard where either have been tunneling.
- Mole tunneling will damage plant roots and cause damage to plants that is discernible from the surface of the lawn.
- Mole tunneling will also bring rocks up to the surface of your lawn, which, if you aren’t careful, can damage your lawnmower.
- Gopher tunnels open up to three inch wide holes and reach up to six feet underneath your yard.
- Gophers will eat plants at the surface or pull them through the surface of your yard.
Moles and gophers can both be a serious nuisance in your yard, so it is important to be able to tell the signs of each of them.
Professional Help with Moles and Gophers in Central TN
When you notice mole or gopher activity on your property, there’s not a second to waste to save your yard from further damage. Be sure to contact your local pest control company as soon as you find signs of gophers or moles. At The Bug Man, our lawn pest control specialists are trained with the top strategies and pest control products in the industry and work hard to ensure that our customers’ yards are vermin-free. Contact us today for a free quote!
5 Signs of Gophers or Moles Living in Your Lawn
Trusted Pest Control Serving Central TN
Serving Central Tennessee